Monday, April 6, 2015

What scanner to buy?

I get this question all the time, Which scanner do you recommend?  I used to say Uniden because they have always worked the best for me.    Then the BCDx36 line came out.

Everything was great the first few months.  Yes the 536 had the headphone issue, requiring me to send the unit back, however they extended the warranty from 1 year to 3, so they made up for it.

After that, weeks turned into months, which now had turned into over a year. the story has changed.

1) None of the extended features have been delivered
2) The WiFi works up to a point and only an incomplete IOS version of the software is out.
3) Both scanners have the clock issue, requiring you to reset the clock every time you power it on.
(as of 4/6 still no firmware patch to bypass the clock reset, and it has been over a month now)
4) No other bugs have been fixed.

At this point I feel I own $1200 worth of crap.  Since there appears to be serious quality control issues now, i would not buy any BCDx36 scanner until they address any of these issues.  I "think" you would be ok with the Home Patrol 2, since that is 90% based on an existing unit and 6 months later nothing serious has shown up.  I am a bit skeptical about the new "P" series like (Based on the XT scanners).   They may be fine, however I would suggest waiting a while to see.

If you need at TDMA capable scanner right now.  I would suggest a Pro-668.  You can still get they pretty cheap if you look around.  Anything under $250 is still a great deal for a TDMA capable scanner.    You can always sell it later on for most of what you paid, and then get a Uniden later on, assuming they work out the issues.

For mobile, it becomes less clear.  The HP-2 may be the way to go (especially if you need GPS).  The Whistler mobile should be out soon, however that will go for top dollar at first and I would not go that route until I see some reviews on it.

Finally, I think this clock issue is worse than we all think.  When the headphone issue turned up last year, within weeks they had a plan to fix it.  nearly 2 months later, not a word from Uniden which leads be to believe that this is going to be a giant recall of every x36 radio out there.  It took just over a year for this issue to surface on both my radio's, so those saying they bought a later radio means nothing.  See what happens when you hit 14 months.  

No comments:

Post a Comment