Friday, November 21, 2014

GPS Scanning Part 1

I have been trying to figure out the best way to go about this particular blog.  This would really be suited for a youtube video, but that really isn't my thing, so I will span this over several parts.  This part we will focus on a basic overview and the GPS hardware.

What does adding a GPS do for you?
If you setup your scanner right, everything will turn on and off automatically and you won't have to touch a thing.  In my personal setup, I can drive anywhere in NJ or the surrounding areas and never have to touch anything except volume and the occasional locking out an annoying channel.

Which scanners support this and the differences
If you are a GRE/Whistler person, you are out of luck.  Only Uniden's do this currently.
Most of T Models (BCD996T etc)
All the XT Models
All the Home Patrol Models

Supported GPS's
You need a GPS that supports NEMA and has a serial connector.  The Garmin PC 18 is a popular one and works very well.  Uniden makes one along with other manufactures.  Some you can buy on ebay very cheap and just add your own power source and connector.  

Some hand held GPS units will work too, such as the Garmin eTrex Legend.  I would suggest going with a newer model, since they tend to lock on to the satellites a lot faster and tend to hold the signal.

My first experience was with the hand held eTrex and it would take 5+ minutes to sometimes lock and would often lose the signal.   At the time, they did not have an external power option for my eTrex, so I would have to run it on AA batteries.  As you can imagine, I would often get halfway to work and the gps would die.  They is now a splitter/power cable available for these units, but I still highly recommend against using these for your scanner install.

Another advantage to the "Hockey Puck" style GPS Units, you can have it hooked up to your ignition power, so it will power on and off with no action from you.  I have found that these units will generally lock on before I get out of my driveway.

My next installment will focus on the differences between the scanner models.



1 comment: